Total Pageviews

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Top Link

When I first got Tillie, almost 2 years ago, the Top Link Rocker Bracket was broken as shown in the photo below. I couldn't get the Rocker bush to move. It was broken on one side and just corroded into position. I decided to remove the broken Top Link Rocker through a mixture of grinding and brute strenght.

With the Rocker Bracket removed, I thought I would have more room to work on the Bush but still couldn't get it to move. As a result, Tillie got painted with this job consigned to the 'too difficult list' for the time being. Ending up with the Bush remaining in place and being painted as can be seen below.

With the good weather I decided to give this job a second go. What I had found out was the Bush was rock hard, I had tried to run a hacksaw on the inside to see if I could cut it. But the blade just skidded of the inner surface. Whilst looking for a suitable punch or chisel to use I came across an old blacksmiths drill I had. This was the perfect diameter to drill out the Bush, passing through the left hand side axle side flange as seen below.

Well I guess I was just hoping, right ! the drill just bounced off the Bush hardly leaving a mark. So back to the drawing board. What I did find was an old socket wrench extension bar that like the drill could be passed through the side flange allowing me to use a large hammer and was a just the right size to use as a punch on the Bush.

20  minutes later and the paint on the opposite side of the Bush and casting had cracked demonstrating the Bush had started to move. Lot's of release oils and a further 10 minutes of hammering had the Bush well on its way. The photo below shows my makeshift Bush removal tool (Socket wrench extension bar) and the Bush halfway out. Thinking it through it could have been partly down to the very warm weather (25 degrees) that may have just caused the casting to expand a bit ?

The final picture shows the new Top Rocker Link in position all ready for a new Bush which I will need to now order.

No comments:

Post a Comment